~~~Stay healthy out there!~~~

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Music Class Expectations

We have been having a blast learning our 1st concert piece for the Winter Concert!  I absolutely love hearing each class sing in harmony and I get so excited at what they are capable of.  We've just begun working on each grade's 2nd concert piece -- I hope they've been singing for you at home!  I can't wait for them to show off these fun, challenging songs at the concert (November 12th).

Over the last couple of days, I have been reminding and emphasizing how grading works in music class.  Here are the 4 basic areas I'm looking for:
  • Being prepared for class (Theory Time book every day!)
  • Participation
  • Being on task
  • Trying your best
I've heard more than a few times "I can't sing" from students as an excuse as to why they don't participate and sing with the class.  I firmly believe that ALL people can sing and can sing WELL with good instruction and if they try their best!  Even as adults I believe it can be learned!  Not singing is not an option.  The Winter Concert is mandatory and a huge part of their grade and my hope is that every student can stand on stage with their peers and feel proud of what they have accomplished.

So, I leave you with the quote below -- I have seen it play out in real life!  I have had students start with little talent and work so hard and are now professional and passionate singers.  Keep encouraging your child to sing sing sing and I know they can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment